juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Outreachy candidates and CLAs
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2019 18:36:40 GMT
IMO, signing the ICLA should not be a prerequisite for acceptance of a first PR.  The first
PR is unlikely to be a significant contribution.  Hopefully at the end of the internship there
is a significant contribution and by that time, the candidate has become comfortable enough
to sign the ICLA.  So yes, good idea to introduce the ICLA at the first PR, but I don't think
it has to be a barrier, at least not right away.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

On 10/4/19, 10:59 AM, "Craig Russell" <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi Awasum,

    I believe that you have exactly the right thinking on this subject. Details below.

    > On Oct 4, 2019, at 10:43 AM, Awasum Yannick <awasum@apache.org> wrote:
    >
    > For simplicity, all contributors in the context of Outreachy or GSoC should just
sign ICLAs when the submit first PRs. its going to make things very easy for us and them in
the long run.

    Yes, having an ICLA on file for all candidates is a good thing.

    > So as soon as someone sends in their first PR, send them to fill an iCLA form and
submit.

    This will make it easier to give the person the ability to commit later on if they deserve
it.

    > I wonder if this will add another barrier of entry? as people might get confused
about why they need to do that or even be reluctant to fill the form an send.

    Here's where diversity gets involved. We should review the FAQ on the license page and
see if filling the ICLA might be a barrier to the people we want to attract.

    We should proactively look at the FAQ with this in mind and suggest changes if they are
warranted.

    But if the ICLA is a barrier, it should go into the friction log with suggested changes.

    Regards,

    Craig

    > Thanks.
    > Awasum
    >
    > On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 5:33 PM Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
    > For more info, we have an FAQ here: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.apache.org%2Flicenses%2Fcla-faq.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C9d21049304dc4550116408d748f4a21c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637058087835364859&amp;sdata=dyTMy%2FPsgDSQPlXnbHUTg4mHT2yUV8iZ7PzPWLNfS20%3D&amp;reserved=0
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.apache.org%2Flicenses%2Fcla-faq.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C9d21049304dc4550116408d748f4a21c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637058087835364859&amp;sdata=dyTMy%2FPsgDSQPlXnbHUTg4mHT2yUV8iZ7PzPWLNfS20%3D&amp;reserved=0>

    > I forgot to mention that CLAs also apply to patent grants (not many
    > OSS licenses besides ALv2 and GPLv3 even address patents in scope of
    > the license AFAIK), though this is more an issue for development done
    > with corporate resources (I doubt many individuals bother filing
    > software patents outside a business).
    >
    > On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 10:35, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org <mailto:jamesbognar@apache.org>>
wrote:

    > > Thank you for the clarification.
    > >
    > > On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

    > > > CLAs aren’t assigning copyright or anything. It’s asserting that you
have the rights to the code being uploaded and are allowing the ASF to use it under the Apache
License. For non-trivial contributions made by non-committers, it’s typically up to the
PMC to decide whether they can vouch for the contribution themselves or if the contributor
should sign an ICLA.

    > > > Basically, the provenance of all code at Apache should be traceable to
committers with an ICLA on file or an initial software grant from the corporation who donated
the code base.

any contributions accepted are committed by people who already signed the ICLA. It can make
things easier in the long run to submit an ICLA, though.

    > > > --
    > > > Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
    >

    > --
    > Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>