juneau-dev mailing list archives

From James Bognar <jamesbog...@apache.org>
Subject Re: August Juneau board report.
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2019 18:10:00 GMT
> Perhaps what does not come as easily across is an overall "when to use
> Juneau". I would think as part of a larger application doing RESTful
> services with potentially many formats - but for instance should a
> Juneau application be doing Web UI or is that done "outside"?

> For instance could Juneau work in conjunction with or in competition
> with Spring Boot? (which does a couple of these things well, but lots of
> things badly)

It's my personal opinion that Juneau should NOT be in the Web UI
business and should stick to REST.  We've started down the path of
providing UI-ish functionality by introducing thinks such as
HtmlRenders that allow you to customize how POJOs get rendered in the
HTML content type.  That may have been a mistake.  There are so many
existing UI frameworks out there that work with REST.  It doesn't make
sense to invent yet another.  Instead I'd prefer to provide examples
of how to use technologies like Datatables and Bootstrap on top of
Juneau.

There was thought of providing Freemarker integration support for UI,
but that didn't get too far off the ground.

I agree that Spring Boot does some things good and lots of things
badly (it's a bit too 'unstructured' for my taste).  But it's where
the cool kids are these days.  Since top-level resource classes are
just servlets, they can be provided as Spring Boot beans as-is without
any modifications.  Marcelo added the very useful
JuneauRestInitializer class that allows the resource classes
themselves to be injectable beans.  There are existing ways to create
REST interfaces in Spring Boot, but what I've seen they pale to the
capabilities that Juneau can provide.  And Juneau works naturally at
marshalling of Spring Data beans out-of-the-box and works well with
Spring Security annotations.

So I agree that more integration support with Spring is a good idea
and probably should be our focus.  And we should be moving away from
UI support.