juneau-dev mailing list archives

From James Bognar <jamesbog...@apache.org>
Subject August Juneau board report.
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2019 13:16:12 GMT
Here's the board report being submitted for August:

https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/2019-08-21/Juneau

I think as a community we need to figure out ways to make it easier to
onboard new developers and maintain interest.  We've struggled to get
code contributions from more than a small handful of developers and
interest quickly fades.  One problem I've noticed is that when new
people ask for things to work on, most of the items in Jira are for
rather complex new features that are difficult to start off with.
Perhaps we can create a backlog of easy items to start off with and
tag them somehow?

I still believe external articles are an important tool for sparking
interest in the community.  The articles by Shalitha and Ayeshmantha
produced noticeable upticks on traffic to the website.
Writing articles is something I have personally have not had time (or
ability) to work on.  I've often felt there's a lot of information in
the Javadocs that could be used to produce many articles, but I have
no idea where to go with that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on generating and maintaining interest?
Or has anyone noticed any issues that are impeding contributions?