juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: August Juneau board report.
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:45:34 GMT
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 09:16:12 -0400, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
> I think as a community we need to figure out ways to make it easier to
> onboard new developers and maintain interest.  We've struggled to get
> code contributions from more than a small handful of developers and
> interest quickly fades.  One problem I've noticed is that when new
> people ask for things to work on, most of the items in Jira are for
> rather complex new features that are difficult to start off with.
> Perhaps we can create a backlog of easy items to start off with and
> tag them somehow?
>
> I still believe external articles are an important tool for sparking
> interest in the community.  The articles by Shalitha and Ayeshmantha
> produced noticeable upticks on traffic to the website.
> Writing articles is something I have personally have not had time (or
> ability) to work on.  I've often felt there's a lot of information in
> the Javadocs that could be used to produce many articles, but I have
> no idea where to go with that.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on generating and maintaining interest?
> Or has anyone noticed any issues that are impeding contributions?

Google Summer of Code can be a good way to seed these potential
developers - but it does require mentoring and graspable "beginner"
tasks to get the students started. We would have to register interest
and potential mentors around March as ASF does one big application to
GSOC.

If there are any common events where you know some (potential) Juneau
users might be (e.g. internal IBM or SalesForce conference?) then
perhaps have a small hackathon for half a day or so? That can help
people both with getting started and for more techies to deep-dive
into the codebase and potentially contribute.

Agree there is lots of untapped material ready for use in the rich
Javadocs. This is unusual compared to many open source projects and
worth pointing out.

Perhaps what does not come as easily across is an overall "when to use
Juneau". I would think as part of a larger application doing RESTful
services with potentially many formats - but for instance should a
Juneau application be doing Web UI or is that done "outside"?

For instance could Juneau work in conjunction with or in competition
with Spring Boot? (which does a couple of these things well, but lots of
things badly)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718