juneau-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From James Bognar <jamesbog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Breaking changes in 7.2.0. Plans for 7.2.1, 8.0.0
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2018 00:40:04 GMT
I’ll continue work on number 2.


On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 8:38 PM Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at sources, it seems to me the choices are:
>
> 1) Do nothing and break all existing apps; obviously not acceptable.
> 2) Update the whole code base so that both old and new annotation are
> handled. I see > 400 references to the Query annotation for example, so,
> yikes; granted some of those references are in Javadocs.
> 3) "Disown" 7.2.0 and move the annotations back to their original
> locations for 7.2.1. Not good either since that would break BC for 7.2.0
> apps; see 1) above. Note that it does not matter how recently 7.2.0 was
> released.
>
> It seems that the only sensible solution is 2)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 5:50 PM Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It looks like org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContext.findParams() does not
>> take into account the deprecated annotations...
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 4:54 PM Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hm... on startup, I get:
>>>
>>> Running class 'RestMicroservice' using config file
>>> 'src\main\config\admin-microservice.cfg'.
>>> 2018-10-15 16:51:22,216 INFO
>>> [com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.test.NHttpReverseProxyTestRule$1][] Logging
>>> initialized @4407ms to org.apache.logging.log4j.appserver.jetty.Log4j2Logger
>>> Server started on port 1103
>>> Servlet init error on class
>>> 'com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.admin.AdminRootResources'
>>> java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.juneau.rest.RestServletException:
>>> Problem occurred trying to serialize methods on class
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.admin.AdminRootResources,
>>> methods=['shutdown,PUT,/shutdown','resume,PUT,/resume','reset,PUT,/reset','getStatus,GET,/status','getConfiguration,GET,/configuration','getInfo,GET,/info','reconfigure,POST,/reconfigure']
>>> at
>>> org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContextBuilder.build(RestContextBuilder.java:262)
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestServlet.init(RestServlet.java:53)
>>> at
>>> org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:670)
>>> at
>>> org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.getServlet(ServletHolder.java:519)
>>> at
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.NHttpReverseProxy.installProxy(NHttpReverseProxy.java:1867)
>>> at
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.NHttpReverseProxy.installAdmin(NHttpReverseProxy.java:1823)
>>> at
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.NHttpReverseProxy.goLoop(NHttpReverseProxy.java:1533)
>>> at
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.test.NHttpReverseProxyTestRule$1.lambda$0(NHttpReverseProxyTestRule.java:191)
>>> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
>>> Caused by: org.apache.juneau.rest.RestServletException: Problem occurred
>>> trying to serialize methods on class
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.admin.AdminRootResources,
>>> methods=['shutdown,PUT,/shutdown','resume,PUT,/resume','reset,PUT,/reset','getStatus,GET,/status','getConfiguration,GET,/configuration','getInfo,GET,/info','reconfigure,POST,/reconfigure']
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContext.<init>(RestContext.java:3303)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContextBuilder.build(RestContextBuilder.java:258)
>>> ... 8 more
>>> *Caused by: org.apache.juneau.rest.RestServletException: Invalid
>>> parameter specified for method
>>> 'com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.admin.AdminRootResources.reconfigure(String,Reader)'
>>> at index position 0*
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContext.findParams(RestContext.java:4613)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.juneau.rest.RestJavaMethod$Builder.<init>(RestJavaMethod.java:394)
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestJavaMethod.<init>(RestJavaMethod.java:92)
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContext.<init>(RestContext.java:3236)
>>> ... 9 more
>>> 2018-10-15 16:51:23,700 WARN
>>> [com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.test.NHttpReverseProxyTestRule$1][o.e.j.s.h.C.ROOT]
>>> unavailable
>>> java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.juneau.rest.RestServletException:
>>> Problem occurred trying to serialize methods on class
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.admin.AdminRootResources,
>>> methods=['shutdown,PUT,/shutdown','resume,PUT,/resume','reset,PUT,/reset','getStatus,GET,/status','getConfiguration,GET,/configuration','getInfo,GET,/info','reconfigure,POST,/reconfigure']
>>> at
>>> org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContextBuilder.build(RestContextBuilder.java:262)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestServlet.init(RestServlet.java:53)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> at
>>> org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:670)
>>> ~[jetty-servlet-9.4.12.v20180830.jar:9.4.12.v20180830]
>>> at
>>> org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.getServlet(ServletHolder.java:519)
>>> ~[jetty-servlet-9.4.12.v20180830.jar:9.4.12.v20180830]
>>> at
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.NHttpReverseProxy.installProxy(NHttpReverseProxy.java:1867)
>>> ~[classes/:?]
>>> at
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.NHttpReverseProxy.installAdmin(NHttpReverseProxy.java:1823)
>>> ~[classes/:?]
>>> at
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.NHttpReverseProxy.goLoop(NHttpReverseProxy.java:1533)
>>> ~[classes/:?]
>>> at
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.test.NHttpReverseProxyTestRule$1.lambda$0(NHttpReverseProxyTestRule.java:191)
>>> ~[test-classes/:?]
>>> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_181]
>>> Caused by: org.apache.juneau.rest.RestServletException: Problem occurred
>>> trying to serialize methods on class
>>> com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.admin.AdminRootResources,
>>> methods=['shutdown,PUT,/shutdown','resume,PUT,/resume','reset,PUT,/reset','getStatus,GET,/status','getConfiguration,GET,/configuration','getInfo,GET,/info','reconfigure,POST,/reconfigure']
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContext.<init>(RestContext.java:3303)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> at
>>> org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContextBuilder.build(RestContextBuilder.java:258)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> ... 8 more
>>> Caused by: org.apache.juneau.rest.RestServletException: Invalid
>>> parameter specified for method
>>> 'com.rs.seagull.httpmonitor.admin.AdminRootResources.reconfigure(String,Reader)'
>>> at index position 0
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContext.findParams(RestContext.java:4613)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> at
>>> org.apache.juneau.rest.RestJavaMethod$Builder.<init>(RestJavaMethod.java:394)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestJavaMethod.<init>(RestJavaMethod.java:92)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> at org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContext.<init>(RestContext.java:3236)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> at
>>> org.apache.juneau.rest.RestContextBuilder.build(RestContextBuilder.java:258)
>>> ~[juneau-rest-server-7.2.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:7.2.1-SNAPSHOT]
>>> ... 8 more
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>
>>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 9:12 AM Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Yep, it compiles, trying the runtime now...
>>>>
>>>> Gary
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:42 AM James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Fixed.  You can try again.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 10:07 PM Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi James:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Using 7.2.1-SNAPSHOT, I only have one (1) compiler error:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The import org.apache.juneau.xml.XmlSchemaDocSerializer cannot be
>>>>>> resolved.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 1:38 PM Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thank you, I should be home to take a look tonight...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018, 17:36 James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org>
>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Hi Gary.  Just delivered the changes.  You can try them out
now.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 6:19 PM James Bognar <
>>>>>>>> jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I'm going to need a couple of days to make those changes.
 I'll
>>>>>>>>> announce when they're ready.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM Gary Gregory <
>>>>>>>>> garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:32 AM Gary Gregory <
>>>>>>>>>> garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM James Bognar
<
>>>>>>>>>>> jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Yes, I will try my best to try to add in
backwards
>>>>>>>>>>>> compatibility in 7.2.1.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Great and thank you, I can test a SNAPSHOT version
when you give
>>>>>>>>>>> the go ahead.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> May you please indicate a time-frame for which I
should set aside
>>>>>>>>>> some time for testing a SNAPSHOT?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Thank you,
>>>>>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM Gary Gregory
<
>>>>>>>>>>>> garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:17 AM James
Bognar <
>>>>>>>>>>>>> jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yea I can do that.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hi James,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> My goal, which I hope you share is:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Update from 7.1.0 to 7.2.1 as a drop-in
replacement
>>>>>>>>>>>>> (skipping 7.2.0 altogether.)
>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Follow the @deprecated warnings and
update my source code.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Update to the next release, whenever
that is, as a drop in
>>>>>>>>>>>>> replacement. Would that then be 8.0?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Is that how you see it?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:15 PM Gary
Gregory <
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:47
AM James Bognar <
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> In hindsight, Juneau 7.2.0
should have been released as
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Juneau 8 due to breaking
changes.  Particularly, the server and client side
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> annotations were merged into
a single set of annotations.  I'm now getting
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> negative feedback for that
decision (rightly so).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> My plan to fix this is to
revert the changes made in 7.2.0
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and to re-release 7.1.1 as
7.2.1.  Then release Juneau 8 with the latest
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bug fixes included.  Given
the significant changes made in 7.2.0, I do not
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> believe it's possible to
fix backwards compatibility (just unmerging those
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> annotations would explode
the code complexity).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thank you for that. But will
there be @deprecated comments
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> so that we can move to the new
code?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mime
View raw message