juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Better Swagger UI?
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2017 16:35:32 GMT
On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 6:35 PM, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> I have actually been giving that some thoughts.  I haven't looked at the
> Swagger code.  Since we produce Swagger 2.0 JSON, it might be easy to plug
> it in and generate the page from our servlets?

I think so. For our product, the current Juneau HTML static UI for the
Swagger file is not acceptable, so I have to do something.

I am going to have to replace the Juneau HTML with the Swagger version,
either 'on the side' or as a change set that is more of an integration with
Juneau.

I am not sure when I will work on this but it will be sooner rather than
later so perhaps we can collaborate.

> The approach I had been kicking around was creating our own Swagger HTML
> beans to generate the same look-and-feel shown on that page.  The
> HtmlRender objects are open-ended and allow you to produce any
> HTML/CSS/Javascript combination.  So creating the same basic look and
> behavior should be possible (although the dynamic "try-it-out" behavior
> would be stretching it).
>
> Approach #1 would require a new code dependency (and licensing concerns?).

No licensing issue as swagger-ui uses the Apache 2.0 license:
https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-ui

I plan on using the Swagger code no matter what. I do not see the point in
re-inventing the wheel. Unless Juneau provides something just as good and
pretty as swagger-ui. But again, why reinvent that.

Approach #2 would be more work (probably).

> The other feature enhancement I was considering was aggregated Swagger
> docs.  Currently, each resource/servlet has it's own Swagger doc.  It
> wouldn't be difficult to aggregate them by traversing the child resources
> so that the entire uber-Swagger doc could be retrieved from the root
> resource.
>
> btw....I haven't forgotten about the doc request for changing the page
> icon.  I'm planning on including the info in a general "branding"
> documentation section.

Thank you. I can figure this kind of stuff just by digging through the
code, but it would be nice to save time for others and document it.

Gary