juneau-dev mailing list archives

From David Goddard <godd...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Jenkins build broken since adding Jetty 9.
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 19:38:55 GMT
I would be cautious about mandating Java 8 for Juneau right now
personally, unless the reason was compelling.  Oracle's Java 7 may be
out of date, but IBM's Java 7 implementation has an EOS date of
September 2019: https://developer.ibm.com/javasdk/support/lifecycle/.

I do know of instances of Juneau-based applications that I've written
that need to run within a Java 7 environment - specifically for IBM
customers running Cognos 10.2.2, which typically runs with a Java 7 JRE.
  This is not to say it's an absolute block, as those applications that
I know of could be run in a separate servlet container, or simply stick
with an older version of Juneau - not to mention that the customers will
need to upgrade sooner or later anyway (EOS for Cognos 10.2.2 is April
2018).

I'm not aware of any uses of the code that still need Java 6 though.

David

On 22/08/2017 21:02, Craig Russell wrote:

>> On Aug 22, 2017, at 10:23 AM, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> The Jenkins build appears to have been failing since we upgraded to Jetty
>> 9.  I don't know how I missed the notification.
>>
>> The problem is that we're compiling against Java 7, but Jetty 9 is compiled
>> against Java 8, so we get this error...
>>
>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
>> org/eclipse/jetty/server/Handler : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
>>
>> The REST testcases all rely on Jetty, so now must be executed using Java
>> 8.  But I don't think we want to force Java 8 as the prereq for our code,
>> right?  Prereq'ing Java 6 is a selling point for Juneau.
>>
>> Can the Jenkins build be modified to compile against Java 6, but run the
>> REST testcases against Java 8?  Or should we just bite the bullet and
>> prereq Java 8 all over?
>
> Java 7 is way out of date. The JDO project recently upgraded to Java 8 as a prerequisite.
Just one more data point for you.