juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Juneau dev Slack experiment failing
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2017 15:47:45 GMT
The juneau-dev slack experiment is failing. The channel itself is great for real-time discussions
but completely fails for team collaboration and communication with the entire team. I'm just
now finding out about a discussion held on slack about the juneau logo. Sad!

I've asked infra tell us how to set up slack such that *all* messages in the dev-juneau slack
channel are forwarded to the apache juneau-dev mail list daily?

But more important, Slack really should be used only for information exchange that by necessity
has a short shelf life. Demanding immediate action.

The apache email channel is the way the team communicates and collaborates. Before posting
on Slack, please ask yourself these questions:

Can I wait an hour for a response to this message?
Is there a larger audience for this message?
Will I or anyone else ever want to see this message after next week?
Would this message thread be useful for anyone else?
Would a subject help others to find this message?

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. I've raised Issue INFRA-14322 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14322>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Slack" <no-reply@slack.com>
> Subject: [Slack] Notifications from the ASF team for June 10th, 2017 at 8:17 AM
> Date: June 10, 2017 at 5:17:27 AM PDT
> To: juneau-dev@apache.org
>
> Hi Dev Juneau,
>
> You have a new direct message from the ASF team
> (https://the-asf.slack.com/x-182454733285-195806234162/).
>
> ---
>
> @digestai
> View in the archives:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/x-182454733285-195806234162/archives/D5CC0L8FN/p1497096137354906
>
> Digest.AI (8:02 AM, June 10th)
> Hi Dev,
> *Here’s your digest for June 10th 2017*
> There are 36 messages yesterday, and the most active user is anu
>
> *#general*
> @anu: is it ok for me to open a slack room for quick discussions on a
> hadoop branch .. basically I wanted to create an ozone room in the
> asf-slack channel so that it is visible to community .. This is not
> incubation, hence asking for permission
>

> * * *
>
> You can snooze these notifications for
> an hour:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-c818330244-notify-mute-1h
> eight hours:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-d9d9f0c003-notify-mute-8h
> a day:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-8578835cf0-notify-mute-1d
> three days:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-06e193824b-notify-mute-3d
> or the next week:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-db36f45174-notify-mute-7d.
>
> You can also turn email notifications off:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-02b9390bdb-notify.
>
> For more detailed preferences, see your account page:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/account.

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo