juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Juneau dev Slack experiment failing
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2017 09:43:00 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 08:47:45 -0700, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
> The juneau-dev slack experiment is failing. The channel itself is great for real-time
discussions but completely fails for team collaboration and communication with the entire
team. I'm just now finding out about a discussion held on slack about the juneau logo. Sad!

Agree that this is excluding. I had not joined the channel until now and I see
discussions that are generally useful for a mailing list, both for users of
Juneau and developers.

How can anyone without an @apache.org account sign up to the Slack chat? No documentation
on this.

How can anyone follow the Slack chat without signing up at all?

How can anyone search what have already been talked about in the chat, possibly
several weeks or months ago? (That 10.000 message limit flows over very quickly
for an ASF-wide team - on the Clojure project this problem means messages
disappear after just a couple of days even in quiet channels)

Some projects have "bots" and custom registration pages for this as Slack has a
closed invite-only system.  This seems to me like a poor mans workaround - but
if ASF is to use Slack this is very needed and needs to be linked to from the
Juneau page, not just straight to the closed login page of Slack. (which tells
new people "Go away, we are a secret club")

I am not sure how the decission to use Slack was made - but I would have
thought something like Gitter with an open approach (e.g. browsable without
login, all messages archived, linkable chat messages straight on the internet,
anyone can sign up join using GitHub or Twitter credentials) would be
preferable for open source projects.

"I happen to use Slack at work" should not be a good excuse. Lots of people
also use Microsoft Exchange at work, but we don't run a closed ASF Exchange service.