juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Juneau 6.2.0-incubating RC1
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2017 00:31:44 GMT
Mentor hat on.

I would recommend *not* using the term "binding" for anything related to the PPMC.

Binding votes are a term of art when applied to a PMC. https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#binding-votes

It's up to the PPMC whether votes by community members should be counted toward the three
+1 votes on the dev list. Hopefully, there will be three votes by PPMC members to forward
the vote to the IPMC. It's fine to include community votes when forwarding the vote to the
IPMC. It's fine to separate community votes from PPMC votes. It's best to not refer to binding
votes at this level.

At the IPMC level "binding" votes are cast by IPMC members. No one else.

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 6:58 AM, James Bognar <jamesbognar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is this correct?...
>
> On the podling-level vote, anyone listed as a current member here
> <http://juneau.incubator.apache.org/index.html#community.html> is a
> "binding" vote.  Anyone else can vote as non-binding.  PPMC members votes
> carry over as "binding" on the incubator-level vote.

No. This is correct:

On the podling-level vote, anyone listed as a current member here
<http://juneau.incubator.apache.org/index.html#community.html> is a
PPMC vote.  Anyone else can vote as non-PPMC.  Only IPMC members votes
carry over as "binding" on the incubator-level vote.

So, you may like to summarize the dev list vote thusly:

Voting for Apache Juneau 6.2.0-incubating is now closed. The release
has passed with the following tally:

+1s:
James Bognor (PPMC)
Steve Blackmon (PPMC)
John D. Ament (IPMC)
Craig Russell (IPMC)
Joey Frazee

Thanks everyone who voted!

I understand this is a bit of intricacy but "binding" is a long-standing term that even predates
the existence of the incubator.

Craig

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation