juneau-dev mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Juneau 6.0.1-incubating RC3
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2016 20:13:59 GMT
To clarify one additional thing.

Binding votes have to do with the subject matter and project membership.
In the case of a plain TLP, the group who votes in new committers and the
group that reviews releases are one and the same - the PMC.  For a podling,
there are two distinct groups.  The PPMC is comprised of developers and
mentors who care about the podlings goals and want it to move forward.
They have binding votes for inviting new committers and new PPMC members.
The Incubator PMC, IPMC, is the group responsible for all podlings.  They
act in part like the board (responsible for being aware of all PPMC
changes) and in part like a standard TLP (they have binding votes on
releases).  The main reason release votes go through the IPMC has to do
with vetting of ASF policies against the release contents.

As of now, the PPMC is myself, Craig, Jochen, James, Peter and now David
(since he's filed his ICLA). The other 3 initial committers would be
allowed I would imagine, if they ever file their ICLAs.

The IPMC members who pay attention to this podling are myself, Stian, Craig
and Jochen, aka the mentors and unofficial mentor.  Stian was elected to
the IPMC after the podling started, so he now has an IPMC binding vote
whereas before he did not.  I'm not sure if its ever been clarified if
informal mentors join the PPMC or not.

While myself, Craig and Jochen are on the PPMC any of us may choose to not
continue on with the project after graduation. That's why its important
that PPMC members become familiar with the release process and understand
how what they're doing creates a compliant or non-compliant release.  Today
the incubator is accountable for valid releases, we supplement that with
the disclaimer file.  When you graduate, the Juneau PMC would be
responsible for all of that.

John

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 2:47 PM Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org>
wrote:

> This could be better clarified, I agree. The PPMC is a "rehearsal" PMC for
> the podling, the initial members would be the original committers, with the
> addition of the mentors (which are not expected to join the graduated PMC
> unless they so wish).
>
> Below I say PMC as this is true for both graduated PMC and a podling PMC.
>
> The PMC votes on releases and (in private@) on new PPMC
> members/committers.
> It is common for small podlings to have committer==PMC. The PMC also
> decides (in public) on other project matters like intellectual property,
> trademarks, and publicity, but really the main point of the PMC is to
> engage and grow the community.
>
> The difference between status of PMC (voting right), committer (code right)
> and anyone else (contribution right?) should be minimal; for instance if
> you ask about web site design on this list, anyone should be welcome to
> join. In fact, such engagement would be a good sign of a potential PMC
> member.
>
> The mentors can help bootstrap this process, e.g. supply enough votes, but
> ideally mentors should be passive in PMC matters and the rest of the
> community active. Thus you may want to ask questions on this list on all
> kinds of PMC matters to get discussion going!
>

> On 30 Dec 2016 4:07 pm, "James Bognar" <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
> wrote:
>
> > That seems self-serving :-)
> >
> > For clarification, only the mentors are currently PPMC, correct?  All the
> > current committers (including me) have non-binding votes unless we
> > originate the vote?  Any only IPMC members (currently only the mentors)
> > binding votes carry over to the incubator vote?
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Yay!
> > >
> > > It's customary to also send and include your own +1, which would be
> PPMC
> > > binding.

> > > next

> stain@apache.org