juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Juneau 6.0.1-incubating RC3
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2016 19:47:47 GMT
This could be better clarified, I agree. The PPMC is a "rehearsal" PMC for
the podling, the initial members would be the original committers, with the
addition of the mentors (which are not expected to join the graduated PMC
unless they so wish).

Below I say PMC as this is true for both graduated PMC and a podling PMC.

The PMC votes on releases and (in private@) on new PPMC members/committers.
It is common for small podlings to have committer==PMC. The PMC also
decides (in public) on other project matters like intellectual property,
trademarks, and publicity, but really the main point of the PMC is to
engage and grow the community.

The difference between status of PMC (voting right), committer (code right)
and anyone else (contribution right?) should be minimal; for instance if
you ask about web site design on this list, anyone should be welcome to
join. In fact, such engagement would be a good sign of a potential PMC
member.

The mentors can help bootstrap this process, e.g. supply enough votes, but
ideally mentors should be passive in PMC matters and the rest of the
community active. Thus you may want to ask questions on this list on all
kinds of PMC matters to get discussion going!