juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] Release Apache Juneau 6.0.1-incubating RC1
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:08:01 GMT
I don’t think there is a problem with adding new features in a 6.0.1 release.

I also don’t think there is a problem with 6.124.0 release although it might be a bit awkward.

And we might consider release cadence in making decisions on numbering.

Other projects use the major (6) release for incompatible changes. Users may have to make
code changes to their own code to use the new release.

They might use minor (0) release for significant features that are still compatible. Things
like new adapters, new versions of dependencies (java 9, java 10). The industry is used to
projects maintaining minor releases with patch releases “indefinitely”. You can see other
projects that issue multiple patch releases at the same time. They might release 6.0.44, 6.1.22,
6.2.13, and 6.3.2. So this would argue for minimizing the number of minor releases.

Patch (1) releases would be used for bug fixes and small feature changes. Users would be expected
to upgrade to the latest patch release to get bug fixes.

I think it would be good to have some documented themes (like the above) so everyone knows
what to expect.

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect