juneau-dev mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] JAX-RS component
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2016 17:12:49 GMT
All

I was thinking about the discussion going on around community growth and
involvement.  I suspect one of the limiting factors in using Juneau is the
fact that it's all manual parsing.  There's tons of frameworks out there
that do parsing in various formats.

I think one way we can eliminate some of the ramp up time is perhaps by
providing a JAX-RS Message Body Reader/Writer implementation based on the
Juneau core codebase.  This would allow better pluggability of Juneau into
an application which needs to consume arbitrary documents in formats into
POJOs (which from what I can tell, the parsing/rendering is Juneau's strong
point right now).  For those unaware, JAX-RS is the Java spec for writing
restful webservices.  There's three main implementations - CXF, Jersey and
RestEasy.  Jersey is used in Glassfish/Payara/Weblogic, CXF used in
Websphere/TomEE and RestEasy in Wildfly.  Wink was also an impl, but never
made it to JAX-RS 2.0.  All three can be used standalone as well (many
people put Jersey on Tomcat).

Here's some reference docs to look at for how to implement if its something
we want to move forward on.
https://jersey.java.net/documentation/latest/message-body-workers.html#d0e6915

John