juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] Release Apache Juneau 6.0.1-incubating RC1
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2016 23:52:08 GMT
I generally prefer semantic versioning, but it's never good to be too
strict as you will end up with number 1.363.0 as you say.

Adding configuration options sound like a minor update though, because they
would not work in older code (but its technically OK if it would not break
old code). The problem I see is that it gets tricky for downstream to know
if something is available from 1.2.1 or 1.2.3, see for instance Ruby which
has such weird updates where a  library suddenly  requires even a
particular fourth patch level version.

I'm not saying you should go for binary-drop-in-compatibility for patch
updates like Apache commons, but at least no drastic new things or big
changes in dependencies.

On 14 Nov 2016 3:27 pm, "James Bognar" <james.bognar@salesforce.com> wrote:

> Thanks Craig,
>
> I've added a tl;dr section to the versioning guidelines for the most common
> case:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JUNEAU/Versioning+guidelines#
> Versioningguidelines-1-Quickguidelines
>
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Craig Russell <craig.russell@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I don’t think there is a problem with adding new features in a 6.0.1
> > release.
> >
> > I also don’t think there is a problem with 6.124.0 release although it
> > might be a bit awkward.
> >
> > And we might consider release cadence in making decisions on numbering.
> >
> > Other projects use the major (6) release for incompatible changes. Users
> > may have to make code changes to their own code to use the new release.
> >
> > They might use minor (0) release for significant features that are still
> > compatible. Things like new adapters, new versions of dependencies (java
> 9,
> > java 10). The industry is used to projects maintaining minor releases
> with
> > patch releases “indefinitely”. You can see other projects that issue
> > multiple patch releases at the same time. They might release 6.0.44,
> > 6.1.22, 6.2.13, and 6.3.2. So this would argue for minimizing the number
> of
> > minor releases.
> >
> > Patch (1) releases would be used for bug fixes and small feature changes.
> > Users would be expected to upgrade to the latest patch release to get bug
> > fixes.
> >
> > I think it would be good to have some documented themes (like the above)
> > so everyone knows what to expect.
> >
> > Craig

> > > The overview document is broken down into individual sections for
> > > core/server/client/microservice with lots of examples...
> > > http://juneau.incubator.apache.org/site/apidocs/overview-summary.html#
> > overview.description

> usually
> > >
> > > That's tricky.  I did add 3 new configuration properties to
> ParserContext
> > > (PARSER_strict, PARSER_inputStreamCharset, PARSER_fileCharset) and now
> > the
> > > reader-based parsers have the ability to read from byte arrays.  So it
> > does
> > > have new 'features'.
> > >
> > > I'm continuously adding new features along the way.  We may end up not
> > > using the bug-fix number very often and instead end up with a large
> minor
> > > version (e.g. 6.102.0).  I'm okay with that if everyone else is.

> > james.bognar@salesforce.com>

> samples

> > releasing

> usually