juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: JsonParser now fully RFC1759 compliant.
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2016 15:09:43 GMT
Hi,

> On Nov 9, 2016, at 6:45 AM, John D. Ament <john.d.ament@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi James,
>
> So I think I raised this on last release as well.  The PPMC vote isn't
> actually required for 72 hours.  It can be informal if we all say we're
> happy with the release contents.  This means we're building locally,
> verifying the contents, and saying we're good.  See also [1].  I'd be happy
> to defend this perspective on the IPMC vote as well.  But yes, at a
> minimum, the release vote is 72 hours.

+1 to the above. If the PPMC is happy with the release after a day, and it has 3 +1 from PPMC
members, it’s fine to call it and send the release to the IPMC for the official vote.

The reason for 72 hours is so folks from multiple time zones have a chance to review and even
change their minds if they first vote +1 and then after continuing to test find showstoppers.

>  This doesn't stop people from
> pointing to a staged nexus repo for using the release now while its under
> vote.

+1 to this as well. If someone is really anxious to see if their pet bug is fixed, Nexus is
your friend. We just cannot make it generally available as a release until it has been voted
by the IPMC. It then becomes “an act of the Apache Software Foundation” which carries
legal weight.

>  Its generally what I've done in the past.  It has to be clear that
> this is a release under vote.  You have to also remember there's also a
> problem of this being a publicly available release for general consumption.
>
> If there's a bug, we can have the release available

on Nexus

> , and people can point
> to it quickly until it's ready.

Craig

> John
>
> [1]: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
>

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 9:36 AM James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I have one grievance about the process, but don't know if anything can be
>> done about it.  It takes over a week to produce a new release (72 hours dev
>> team approval + 72 hours IPMC approval + 24 hours waiting for files to show
>> up in Nexus, etc...).  When this was an IBM project, the entire release
>> process was automated.  If I wanted to create a new release, it was a
>> single ANT call and a new release would be ready for download in about 10
>> minutes.  If someone came to me with a bug, I could sometimes have a
>> release with a fix within an hour.
>>
>> But Apache is a democratic process, and votes are needed to make
>> decisions.  I understand the need for this.  However, I do miss the days
>> where I could create a release with a button click.  Growing pains I guess.
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That sounds like a huge achievement!  Time for another release? (Release
>>> early & often)
>>>
>>> John

>>> RFC1759

>> --