juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status update.
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:09:03 GMT
Hi!

Glad you are getting close to a release! And hurray for OSGi bundles.

Commenting as a Commons PM member - I think you should take our
instructions with a grain of salt as they can be a bit heavy and
probably outdated.  Some of the plugins (like download-plugin) only
exists to make the many Commons modules have a similar look&feel on
their releases - I would not recommend it unless you find it useful
(e.g. integrates well with website update).

In contrast - here's how we do it in Taverna:
https://taverna.incubator.apache.org/community/releasing

Feel free to clone/fork/steal! (It's Apache license after all..)

Personally I would not bother with also maintaining a
RELEASE-NOTES.txt and rather just refer to the Jira issue from a more
timeless README.

More stuff to update - less chance anyone will bother to do a release
(or will do something wrong :) -- we see this problem in Commons.

As Juneau is a library/framework I would prefer a pure Semantic
Versioning scheme http://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html (e.g. version
6.0.0) - of course OSGi likes 6.0.0.0 I think.

.. but still your schemewill probably need to be further qualified as
you have started. You should also decide what style you want on your
tags - you would want -RC1 style suffix for release candidate tags or
branches.

As for version 6.0 or 1.0... are the <6.0 versions publicly available
and somewhat compatible (except for change of package)? (I did not
find any reference to them from the Juneau homepage).

If not, I would say clean start and 1.0. But the Juneau community
should decide that - not mentors! :)

You should be able to get a source-release.tar.gz if you use
-Papache-release - and you can configure maven-release-plugin to
always apply apache-release profile.

Will the juneau-distrib-X-bin.zip contain just Juneau JARs or also
third-party JARs?

Perhaps it will be good if dev@juneau have a few dry runs with
creating the release candidates (I'm OK to pre-review them if you
want) - it can be a bit of a hazzle to get Maven to cooperate on a
release the first time..

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718