juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status update.
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:16:20 GMT
I'm afraid for the dist server you need to go old-skool and use SVN
with your apache.org credentials.

See
https://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing

(but note we belong under incubator/juneau )

svn mkdir https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/juneau
should work for anyone in the incubator group

Then you can use

svn co https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/juneau

and add the KEYS file with "svn add" and "svn commit"

Similarly the release candidates you should add at the /dev/ sibling
after making:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/juneau

When the release has passed, you can just use "svn mv" to move it over
- not having to worry about missing anything or getting the wrong
version.

To simplify such a move, then don't put the files straight into
sources/ and binaries/ split as Commons has done (and which we want to
move away from), but rather use a sub-folders like
juneau-6.0-RC1 (renamed to juneau-6.0 under dist when released).

The incubator folks like all the downloadable files to have the
apache- prefix, e.g.

apache-juneau-6.0-source.zip

(You can tweak <finalName> in the assembly config)

On 25 September 2016 at 17:54, Craig Russell <craig.russell@oracle.com> wrote:

>> On Sep 24, 2016, at 8:59 AM, James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have more questions for our mentors....
>>
>> 1) Do you have any thoughts/preferences on the initial version #?  6.0 or
>> 1.0?
>
> Can folks using the original project switch to this one by simply changing the maven
coordinates? I guess not since all the import statements need to change.

> So I don’t think it much matters in terms of confusing the audience. If you like to
think of Juneau 6.0 as the next release of Juno 5.x, I don’t see an issue. Many incubating
projects leave the past in the past and start with 0.1. And many keep the naming of the previous
project.

>> 2) Where should release notes be kept?  Should we have a single
>> RELEASE-NOTES.txt file in the root, or separate ones in each bundle
>> project?
>
> Three places: prominently on the web as a download, as a viewable web page, and in the
top level (root) of any distribution.

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/juneau but https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/juneau

>> How do we get an
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/juneau?
>

> A few years ago you could scp to the host machine. I’m not sure what the current protocol
is. Can you try to create the directory using scp and see what happens?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718