juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status update.
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2016 18:26:13 GMT
On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 5:59 PM, James Bognar
<james.bognar@salesforce.com> wrote:

>    - juneau-distrib-X-bin.zip
>    - juneau-all-X.jar

What is the difference between these? IMO, they are redundant, and
either should suffice.

>    - juneau-distrib-X-src.zip
>    - juneau-samples-X-sources.jar

I suggest to integrate the latter into the former (or into either of
the above binary dist files). At least, I don't see why I should be
interested in a separate samples jar.

> 4) I've removed all manifest files from the projects.  They're now built by
> Maven.

Well done.

> 1) Do you have any thoughts/preferences on the initial version #?  6.0 or
> 1.0?

Whatever the project wishes.

-> 2) Where should release notes be kept?  Should we have a single
> RELEASE-NOTES.txt file in the root, or separate ones in each bundle
> project?

Whatever's more convenient to the project. Both have advantages, and
disadvantages.

> 3) In the commons release notes, I see references to
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons
> as the location for the KEYS file and downloads.  What exactly is this and
> how is it populated?  How do we get an
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/juneau?

It is required (or, at least desired), that distributed artefacts are
signed by the creator, using GPG, PGP, or whatever. The intention is
that users have the ability to verify those artefacts by using the
signees public key. That public key must be present in the KEYS file,
which typically resides in the projects root directory for
distributables. (Please, note, that the artefacts won't be distributed
via juneau.apache.org, but via www.apache.org, and its mirrors.) See
https://www.apache.org/dist/creadur/KEYS for an example KEYS file.

> 4) The commons project refers to a "mvn commons:download-page' command.
> Any idea what that is and what it does?

Actually, no, although I did a few commons releases in the past. I
don't think it's important. Juneau may as well create a static page
for downloading. The important part is to use the proper links, so
that the mirror system is being used.

All in all: Well done, and quick!

Jochen