juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creating an initial release.
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2016 07:47:03 GMT
Hi, James,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:38 PM, James Bognar
<james.bognar@salesforce.com> wrote:

> I think we're ready to take a stab at creating a release of Juneau.
>
> How exactly do we do that?

I haven't had a look at the code, since some weeks. My recommendation:

- Make sure, that everything can be built with Maven. (Perhaps already done.)
- Follow the procedures, as outlined by another project, which are
basically built on top of the maven-release-plugins,
  for example: https://commons.apache.org/releases/
  (Note, that this example assumes use of the commons-parent POM. You
might want to introduce such a POM for Juneau, and
  copy stuff from there, Might as well be, that use of the apache
parent POM is sufficient, can't tell in advance.)

Basic stuff to check:

  - Have a reproducable procedure, which can be repeated in the
future. (For example, by introducing a junea-dist module, which
    depends on the modules to release.) This module should emit
something like a junea-<incubating-VERSION>-bin.zip, and
    (more important) a junea-<incubating-VERSION>-src.zip. The former
should be recreatable from the latter.
  -  Both files, should include proper NOTICE, and LICENSE files. (See
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html.)
  -  Have the dist module run, and pass, a Rat check on the
distributed files, for example by copying them to a temp directory.

This list is incomplete, but it should give you a feeling on the steps involved.

Jochen