juneau-dev mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Juneau website source code
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2016 16:12:22 GMT
On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 11:45 AM James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com>
wrote:

> We don't really have a pre-made website ready for upload.  Here's what
> we've got...
>
> A google site (WYSIWYG) - https://sites.google.com/site/apachejuneau/

Would it be possible to get the source code for this, and deploy as is?
Even as a first step.

> Javadocs hosted via gh-pages -
> http://jamesbognar.github.io/juneau-docs/doc/index.html

We can definitely include this.

> A getting-started wiki for devs -
>
> https://github.com/jamesbognar/juneau/wiki/Getting-started-for-Collaborators

Do we want to request a wiki?  I'm assuming confluence would be OK.

> I was actually hoping there would be a template site we could use to get
> started that would help match the look-and-feel of other Apache projects.

Thats the thing.  Apache projects each have their own website, using a wide
variety of technologies to power them.

We used to have a SVN based CMS.  This has been deprecated.  If you recall,
one of the things I was proposing was to leverage gitpubsub for the new
website.  We can deploy some manual static content for now, while working
on a different build tool.  The concept is similar to how github pages
work.  The build tool is therefore arbitrary, sine developers push to a
branch when their changes are ready.  Jekyll is apparently used often in
this structure.

> My general vision was...
> 1) A sparse website consisting of a quick description and links (similar to
> the existing Google Site).
> 2) All documentation maintained in Javadocs.
> 3) Design documents maintained in Wikis.

All three of these sound about right.

> Are there any particularly nice webpages for other Apache projects that we
> might be able to steal as a starting point?

I'd personally rather not.  Though you may want to reach out to the general
incubator list, basically with a help wanted on webpage design.