juneau-dev mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Does Hammock + Juneau make sense?
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2016 22:42:48 GMT
Similar in spirit to Craig's recent email.  I'm wondering if it makes sense
to consider integrating, or even donation of, Hammock w/ Juneau.

https://github.com/johnament/hammock

Basically, I started Hammock > 2 years ago first conceptually as a way to
tie in the CDI model w/ a TCP server like Netty.  I was able to build out
some extensions w/ Resteasy and got a working prototype together.  I've
done some refinement, dropped Netty (not for any specific reason other than
HTTP all the things) and gotten it working for some basic use cases.  I
also ended up doing a JavaOne presentation on it.

There was a recent discussion w/ a software vendor to fold it into their
portfolio.  Turns out the person I was speaking with wasn't actually in any
authority to do so, so while some public donations have occurred, no formal
convergence has happened.  So I still own the code.

Now I'm wondering if it makes sense to somehow work Hammock and Juneau
together.  Hammock is basically microservices on the CDI stack.  It was
always intended for smaller deployments, SE based bootstrapping for a
container that launched some internal services (DB connections, servlet
containers, etc).  Is there some potential synergy here?

John