juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Juneau Slack channel to be sunset.
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:24:59 GMT
As far as I know Slack is always bound to a @emaildomain + invitation.
I had a Slack account from a different project, but it was not
compatible with the Juneau Slack, because this in was a different
"team".

It might still be worth having a look at Gitter, or apache.hipchat.com
(we can just ask Apache INFRA to make a room there) or
irc.freenode.net (!) as a synchronous background channel for the email
list - but perhaps get everyone to join this email list first for the
main communication?

IRC is also a classic, but I've found it only works for large
communities, for both #taverna and #jena the IRC channels are usually
quiet for a week at a time, which don't work well for a synchronous
channel - as often you don't know the name or the email address of the
person who asked a question and has since logged out. Large projects
like #maven and #clojure prosper well on IRC - but mainly for dev-user
and user-user communication.

Gitter/Slack/HipChat all have the strength that they work as
semi-asynchronous - you log in and get access to the backlog, mixed
with some nice bot messages. So I wouldn't dismiss that technology
fully - just be aware that it should be easy to contribute to and be a
part of Apache Juneau (incubating) without having to agree to
third-party Terms&Conditions, etc; and so the main traffic should be
on the list (or issue tracker).

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718