juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Which bug tracking system should we be using.
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:52:36 GMT
On 28 June 2016 at 14:56, James Bognar <james.bognar@salesforce.com> wrote:

> To vote, put [-1](opposed), [0] (no preference), or [1](support) next to
> each choice...

While the use of -1/0/+1 is how I would expect, I think it's premature
to start a formal [VOTE] before the options have been discussed
informally (as we seem to be doing in the rest of this thread). It's
common to first do a [DISCUSS], and only resort to a [VOTE] if
consensus can't be made. [1]

This also helps to keep the actual [VOTE] thread clean. A long [VOTE]
discussion tends to scare people away from voting.

[VOTE]s are however required for two things:

1) Releases [2], which must be open for 72 hours, have +3 "binding"
votes from Juneau PPMC members and more positive than negative.  (and
while in the incubator, +3 incubator IPMC members/mentors)

and

2) Accepting new committers and/or PPMC members (this is done on
private@juneau for obvious reasons)

But for both it's good to have an informal email first to feel the
mood, e.g. "Are we in a good shape to do a release? Anything
outstanding? I'm willing to be the Release Manager, and will start
preparing a Release Candidate on Wednesday unless I hear otherwise. "
-- or (on private@) "I'm thinking of suggesting Alice W. Land as a
committer, she has contributed many patches and seem to have a good
understanding. What do you think?"

For other situations, it can often be suitable to do a "Lazy
consensus", e.g. "I want to change Juneau to use Java 8, this is a
Lazy Consensus vote that passes in 72 hours if no negative votes are
received.". [3]

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
[2] https://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release
[3] http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making