juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Which bug tracking system should we be using.
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2016 09:41:45 GMT
The difference is that the committers won't have write access to
https://github.com/apache/incubator-juneau/ (once set up/transferred)
- this is because the git-mirroring from git-wip-us.apache.org is one
way.

Once set up, committers will pull/push using the remote
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-juneau.git - and
there's an "asfbot" that mirrors this directly to
https://github.com/apache/incubator-juneau/ in seconds - for
non-committers they can use GitHub as before with forks and pull
requests.

We can ask to set up the bot so that if a pull request is raised, an
email is sent to dev@juneau. The email contains instructions on how a
committer can merge (basically running git pull and git push).  This
bot will also copy over any comments from the GitHub PR to the list -
so committers can respond to the PR on GitHub, but still involve the
list.  In the other direction, responses from the list mirrored
through to GitHub should in theory work, but it's unfortunately not
too reliable at the moment.

Example pull request on dev@taverna: https://s.apache.org/ex-pull-request

GitHub Issues could in theory be supported the same way, but the
problem is that the Juneau folks won't have admin-access to it on
GitHub, so won't be able to Close, Assign, set labels, etc.   It is
also nice to be able to manage the admin to the tracker separately, as
we can do in https://issues.apache.org/jira/ - e.g. you can give a
potential committer "Contributor" access in Jira so she can assign
issues to herself.  Jira integrates well with the email list -
although its email notifications can be a bit noisy and perhaps not as
smooth as GitHub's email integration.

Example Jira email on dev@jena: https://s.apache.org/jira-ex

On 28 June 2016 at 19:40, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Peter Haumer <phaumer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> So I propose to work legally correct by committers committing to Apache's
>> git first, but then also to push to Github and to manage issues there in
>> the larger community.
>>

> No need for an additional push: That's done automatically by the mirroring
> software.
>
> Jochen
>

>> --
>> The next time you hear: "Don't reinvent the wheel!"
>>

>> http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/evolution-of-the-wheel-300x85.jpg
>>

> --

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718