juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Juneau Slack channel to be sunset.
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:20:33 GMT
One of the things that will change as any project moves to Apache is the style of communication.
We are a world-wide community and asynchronous communication is a requirement for all projects.

In addition, there may be occasions for real-time communications channels. For example, around
a release there might be some issues to resolve that can’t wait for a multi-day chat.

But for the most part, email should be used. This gives all participants a chance to comment
on any issues.

Craig

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 2:39 AM, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> It might still be worth having a look at Gitter, or apache.hipchat.com
>> (we can just ask Apache INFRA to make a room there) or
>> irc.freenode.net (!) as a synchronous background channel for the email
>> list - but perhaps get everyone to join this email list first for the
>> main communication?
>
> I strongly discourage using external Chat servers. Experience shows,
> that this leads to closed groups within the community sooner, or
> later.
>
> Right now, I cannot determine any reason for *not* using
> dev@juneau.i.a.o for communication.
>
> Jochen
>

> --

Craig L Russell