incubator-openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Mitchell <>
Subject Re: OpenWhisk shell tool
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 14:32:32 GMT
oh, i should've answered the last question better. let's try again:

I'm a bit confused as to the status of this tool. There was mention of a
> vague hope to OpenSource it, but it didn't sound very concrete or important
> to the speaker. Is it proprietary to IBM? Will it work with other
> installations of OpenWhisk?

yes, open source coming soon. and: we have indeed used it with non-IBM
openwhisk installations!

the `host` command can be used, from within the Shell, to swap hosts.
`host` accepts a hostname, and it also has a few shorthands. e.g. `host
mac` will direct the Shell to the standard local docker-machine IP:port;
`host local` will direct it to the standard local docker IP:host; `host
us-south` and `host bluemix`, etc. are short-hands for some of the IBM
standard API hosts.

once you've chosen a host, `auth` command can be used, from within the
Shell, to swap or add new auth keys. e.g. `auth add xxxx` or `auth switch

for users of IBM OpenWhisk, there is a `bluemix` tree of commands; e.g.
`bluemix login`, which accepts the standard `bx login` arguments, can be
used to acquire an auth key for a given bluemix org and space; and `bluemix
cost` will tell you the approximate cost of your recent activations.