incubator-openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Duy Nguyen <>
Subject Release for OpenWhisk
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:19:27 GMT
Hi -

In the previous tech interchange session we talked about creating releases
for OpenWhisk. It was an interesting discussion and I would follow up here.

I started with a wiki page with some initial ideas for doing releases based
on what we have for now.

It basically takes a step forward from the docker image releases [1] that
Carlos has automated recently. In addition to versions from git commits, we
could create a semver tag in GitHub and tag the relevant Docker hub images
with the same version. Current images from the main repo are: controller,
invoker, and action containers.

There are extended discussions about releasing finer-grained artifacts by
publishing jars with maven, SPI plug-ins, etc. (more details at [2]).
However, as this involves major effort to integrate SPIs, more tooling and
so on, how about start creating releases using the early approach with
Docker images, and later add more stuff as the project evolves?

In general, pushing for creating releases will help to ease deployment
management, issue reporting / debugging, and is needed for apache

Look forward to seeing your comments.