incubator-openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Marth <>
Subject Re: Adding OpenTracing support
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2017 10:31:52 GMT
Hi Juca,

I was in discussions with Sandeep before he created the PR for Zipkin support, so I can give
some background info:
As a part of better understanding and improving the performance characteristics of OW we were
simply looking for a way to profile the whole system. Zipkin seemed (still seems) to be fit
for that job. So from our perspective plugability was not much of a concern, we “simply”
wanted to get to the data.

On 14/06/17 11:56, "Juraci Paixão Kröhling" <> wrote:

>Hey there,
>I work on the Hawkular project and I'm currently checking if I could be
>helpful in adding distributed tracing capabilities into OpenWhisk.
>I see that there's a PR already for Zipkin[1] and I'm wondering if there
>is a reason for that choice, or if OpenTracing could be evaluated. The
>main advantage, from my point of view, is that OpenTracing allows the
>actual implementation to be pluggable.
>If OpenTracing would be a valid solution, I could work on a PoC for that.
>1 -
>- Juca.
View raw message