incubator-openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Dragos Dascalita Haut <>
Subject Setting up Feeds w/ a verification step
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2017 00:45:59 GMT
Is there a pattern for registering feeds with providers that require a verification action
to be invoked, in order to validate the webhook ?

I'm trying to add a new feed provider for FB to the OW catalog [1]. Some providers may enforce
a verification step before accepting the webhook; it could be as simple as the provider sending
a verification token that it expects to be sent back by that webhook. See an example at [2].

In OW triggers and rules are separate concerns, a design I personally like. The issue is that
when the providers want to verify something, there's no "default verification rule" associated
with a trigger.

The pattern I'm currently trying to implement is:

  1.  When the CREATE event for the feed is called, register the new trigger
  2.  Create a "verification" rule for this trigger to invoke an action that satisfies the
provider requirements
  3.  Invoke the provider API for registering a new webhook
  4.  Wait for the provider to verify the webhook, and then delete the rule created at step

Do you have any thoughts regarding this approach ?

[1] -
[2] -