incubator-openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: How to continue to use our social media channels
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2017 05:40:59 GMT

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:16 PM, Andreas Nauerz
<> wrote:
> ...Imho anyone part of the community (any developer, any vendor, ...)
> working with OpenWhisk should be allowed to use the
> above mentioned channels....

I'd say "part of the community" yes, as in "being actively involved in
Apache OpenWhisk as an individual" or in other words being actively
present on this list and acting as yourself instead of representing a
company or organization.

Allowing vendors to post to those channels is *not* ok as the ASF has
to be vendor neutral - ultimately because of our 501(C)3 charity
status that could be compromised by favoring one vendor or
organization over another. And also because the ASF is a place for
companies who might be competitors to collaborate on neutral ground
and wants to stay like that.. It has to be individuals who post to
those channels, with documented approval (on this list or in tracker
tickets) from the OpenWhisk (P)PMC as you suggest.

That's assuming the ownership of those channels is transferred to the
OpenWhisk (P)PMC which IIUC is your intention - and that's great!

Sorry if that seems restrictive, I think your intention does match
this, just trying to clarify the very important vendor independence

I think it's worth spelling out the guidelines for using those
channels on the project's website, once they stabilize.

> ...We also need a system to share credentials/passwords for allowing
> PPMC members (my backups) to manage the above channels.
> It seems as SVN space set up by INFRA is the Apache way to handle this....

Yes, ASF infra can provide that. Another way is to send those
credentials to the openwhisk private list, GPG-encrypted with the keys
of the (P)PMC members. Mishaps do happen so it's important that most
or all PMC members be able to fix things quickly if needed.

View raw message