From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.9.0.rc7
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2021 22:33:20 GMT
Hi,

> Thanks for helping us check. We will do a full review of the licenses of files (and hopefully
find ways for automation for them too).

Automation may help but it is no replacement for human eyes.

> These files are adapted from numpy with significant modification from mxnet contributors
under ICLA.

It depends on what you mean by significant, usually changes made to 3rd party files stay under
the original license. See [1] on this, note that "Do not add the standard Apache License header
to the top of third-party source files.”. If the license was to change, and the headers
replaced then that needs to be noted in NOTICE. Please make sure that the license is noted
in LICENSE.

> These files are in similar situation to the numpy files above, where they were adapted
from projects with ALv2 with MS copyright but with significant modification covered by ICLA.

There is a mix of licenses in there and they are not mention in LICENSE. All 3rd party code
needs to be mentioned in LICENSE.

>> 6. ./include/dlpack/dlpack.h
>> 7. ./include/dmlc/
>
> We missed them due to them being symlinks in our project.

You need to check the source artefact, the license and notice files need to reflect what is
actually released. [2]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party