From Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IP clearance officer for accepting Terraform
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2021 10:02:02 GMT
ACS PMC,

The IP clearance is tracked at
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159 and we have been in
the position since last week to start the vote on incubator@. I've
asked a few times but haven't heard from our volunteer ASF member Paul
Angus. As my last attempt to Paul - are you able to
(1) check the XML doc
(https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/cloudstack-terraform.xml),
(2) post a message to general@incubator asking for clearance to be
checked (72hrs window),
(3) post a result thread and let project know code is cleared for import?
... as per https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html#process

In the meanwhile I ask ASC PMC chair Gabriel to prepare to volunteer
or help find an appropriate volunteer and do (1)-(3) starting
Monday/next week. Tagging Sebastien too who has been IP clearance
officer for a couple of donations under the ACS project - who may
volunteer or advise us.

I'm happy to volunteer but I'm neither an officer nor a member of the
ASF; but I may have incubator karma (http://people.apache.org/~rohit)
if that means ability to commit the IP clearance xml doc to incubator
SVN. I've committed and updated the IP clearance XML today
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/cloudstack-terraform.xml
which must be checked by whoever starts the vote on general@incubator.

Thanks and regards.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 12:33 PM Rohit Yadav <rohit@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Dan and all of IPMC,
>
> Sorry I missed the previous email [1] on the thread as I'm not subscribed to the general@
ML and missed the email. (Thanks Justin for the heads up)
> I kindly request reply-all (to include the ACS PMC) or include me if you're looking for
a response from me, since this is rather a public thread that the ACS PMCs may also want to
be copied to.

> Based on https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack/graphs/contributors?type=a
(contributors by additions of code), all the top #5 contributors have agreed or shared their
no objections either on the Github issue above or on the ML, namely (using their Github handles):
grubernaut,  svanharmelen, radeksimko, benjvi, and cezarsa.

> (While code deletions may not be relevant?) ... based on https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack/graphs/contributors?type=d
(contributors by deletion of code), all the top #3 contributors have also agreed or shared
their no objections either on the Github issue above or on the ML, namely (using their Github
handles): svanharmelen, grubernaut, and cezarsa.

> These Github handles/contributors can be cross referenced against the Github issue [2]
tracking IP clearance for documentation purposes.

> Can the IPMC review this tracker issue [2] by the end of this week and advise if there
are any objections and actions we're supposed to do before starting a vote? Lastly, can the
IPMC also advise what's the process of being granted karma to start a vote for IP clearance,
do a ACS PMC who is also an ASF member or our ACS PMC chair need to do that (asking in case
I need to volunteer and start the vote)? Thanks.

> [1] https://markmail.org/message/yxqh5ndu4vnotrti
> [2] The IP clearance tracking issue: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159
>
> Regards.
>

> On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM Rohit Yadav <rohit@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> We've completed most of the actions [1][2] per the IP clearance process [1] and the
initiative is tracked by a Github issue [2]. The ICLA and software grants by the codebase/repo
owner Sander van Harmelen has been acknowledged by ASF secretary@ to PMC and all contributors
have been asked for any objections to the IP clearance / codebase relicensing/import initiatives.
To date we've not received any objections from contributors and most contributors have agreed
to this either over email thread or on the Github issue [2].

>> Now we need an Officer or Member of the ASF to (1) check and commit the completed
IP clearance XML form (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/cloudstack-terraform.xml),
(2) Start a vote on general@incubator, and finally (3) post the result thread and notify the
ACS PMC that codebase are cleared for import.

>> I had asked Paul last week who originally volunteered but hadn't seen any further
action. Paul can you confirm if you can start a vote on incubator@ or are busy and aren't
able to do so this time?
>> If we don't hear from Paul in the next 72 hrs I propose we have our PMC chair Gabriel
to volunteer or find a volunteer per [1].
>> (I'm happy to volunteer as well, looks like I can svn commit the XML file. I'll discuss/ask
again on Wed)

>> [1] IP clearance process: https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html#process
>> [2] Github issue tracking IP clearance: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 1:44 PM Rohit Yadav <rohit@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Just a short update, I think we've reached out to all the contributors via this
Github issue which is also tracking the IP clearance process:
>>> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159
>>>
>>> As per https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html#process
I think we should be able to start a vote on general@ shortly (say on Monday to give these
contributors traditional 72hr window to raise any objections).

>>> Regards.

IP

contributors is probably enough given the history here. You already have that from most of
them. If some don’t answer then just record that and continue. It might be possible that
other IPMC members might have a different view on this.

Software Grant. All authors must sign an Individual CLA; or all owners of IP must sign one
of the three documents and send to secretary “. I’m still slightly unclear on who the
IP owners are. Sander is obviously one, but I would guess it’s the other 8 or so other major
contributors or possibly in some cases their employers. Having an ICLA clears that up as the
person states that any contributions they make they are allowed to do so and have their employers
permission to do so.