From <pau...@apache.org>
Subject FW: IP clearance officer for accepting Terraform
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2021 07:49:50 GMT

From: Paul Angus
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 10:29 AM
To: mattsicker@apache.org
Cc: private@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: IP clearance officer for accepting Terraform

Kind regards

Paul Angus

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Sicker <mattsicker@apache.org>
Sent: 13 July 2021 20:39
To: Paul Angus <paul@angus.uk.com>
Cc: <private@cloudstack.apache.org> <private@cloudstack.apache.org>

Secretary only handles the books here; I don't make the call as to whether or not an IP donation
is valid. That would be the job of the IPMC or the respective PMC if a top level project makes
that call.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 7:42 AM Paul Angus <paul@angus.uk.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> The CloudStack project is in the process of getting IP clearance for a Terraform plugin.
>
> WRT to signed Software Grants from contributors to the codebase that is being taken over,
we've had consent from 11 of the top 20 contributors [1] and an acknowledged Software Grant
from the major contributor and owner, Sander van Harmelen.

> Is Sander's Grant sufficient for you as Secretary for us to proceed, or do you require
signed Grants from all who have responded.

> [1]  https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159
>

> Kind regards
>
> Paul Angus

all the guidance and advice we've received on this thread has been attempted and resolved.

> Hi Paul - I think both Daniel and Justin have been answered and we can
> continue. Kindly review and start a formal "[IP CLEARANCE]" thread on
> general@incubator as per
> https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html#p
> rocess
> tracking the IP clearance at
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159
>
> Regards.
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 1:00 PM Daniel Widdis <widdis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have no concerns.  I am not a member of the IPMC, just an interested participant
in the conversation.

> > ´╗┐On 7/11/21, 11:25 PM, "Rohit Yadav" <rohit@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Daniel, Justin, IPMC,
> >
> >     Are you happy with the answers to satisfaction? Do you have any other
> >     questions/concerns, or can we continue with the IP clearance vote?
> >     It has been three weeks since this thread, while the Apache CloudStack
> >     PMC has passed the vote to accept donations in April 2021. If there
> >     are any, can you advise by the end of tomorrow?
> >
> >     Regards.
> >
> >     On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 10:56 AM Rohit Yadav <rohit@apache.org> wrote:
> >     >
> >     > Hi Justin,
> >     >
> >     > Yes that's right, there's no 3rd party code in the latest codebase/tags
that is being donated. And yes, the large commits that brought the 3rd party code in vendor
directory have been all removed too.
> >     >
> >     > Regards.
> >     >
> >     > On Sat, 10 Jul, 2021, 6:26 am Justin Mclean, <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:
> >     >>
> >     >> Hi,
> >     >>
> >     >> > However, if you compare the changes in above commits against the
> >     >> > repositories being donated the "vendor" directory does not exist
now
> >     >> > in both the repositories being donated:
> >     >> > https://github.com/xanzy/go-cloudstack
> >     >> > https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack (for example
> >     >> > vendor removed in this commit -
> >     >> > https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack/commit/4db2f701592b5af74376f5b138624bff75763152)
> >     >>
> >     >> So what you are saying is that all of those large commits have been
removed? What I would be concerned about happening is if a large amount of 3rd party code
incorrectly gets an ASF header on it. There no issue with 3rd party code in the repo but it
must be clearly marked, have the correct non ASF header and its license compatible with the
Apache license. Looking at the repos all headers are ASF ones, is there any 3rd party code
in the donated code?

--
Matt Sicker
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation