From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Redirecting retired podling websites
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2021 16:48:11 GMT
Hi Sebb,

I noticed you did a lot of updates to .htaccess [1] - I have some inline questions.

> On Mar 30, 2021, at 4:31 PM, Dave Fisher <wave@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Sebb,
>
>> On Mar 30, 2021, at 4:22 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ´╗┐It's currently quite awkward fixing up retired podling websites so
>> they redirect to the status page.
>> There are currently about 6 such podlings, dating back to Nov 2013.
>>
>> [It's easy enough to do this for incubator sub-sites (e.g.
>> http://incubator.apache.org/wave), as these can use a single .htaccess
>> file; that is not the case for the above sites otherwise they would
>> have been fixed ages ago]
>>
>> Recent podlings use websites like http://ariatosca.apache.org/ and/or
>> http://ariatosca.incubator.apache.org/
>> The redirects need to be added in each website source.
>>
>> This can be difficult to do, see INFRA-21451 re Tamaya.
>> This was opened on Feb 21st and has yet to be completed.
>>
>> I have proposed an Infra PR which should make it much easier to set up
>> the redirect to the status file.
>>
>> The idea is to set up a special directory:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/retired/
>>
>> For each retired podling, create a marker directory, e.g.
>> tamaya/
>
> I can add a step in the clutch2.sh shell script to maintain these placeholders.

Do you still need retired/${podling} marker directories?

>> If the web server detects that there is a directory matching the first
>> part of the web host name (e.g. tamaya), then it redirects to
>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/tamaya.html (e.g.)
>
> I think we should also review the .htaccess for the incubator. More tomorrow.

Would you explain .htaccess comments like:
# https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-retired-pirk.git;a=blob;f=.htaccess;hb=refs/heads/asf-site
# https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sirona/site/.htaccess

Would .htaccess redirects like the following break anything?
RedirectMatch Permanent ^/sirona(/.*)?$ http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sirona.html

If possible I think that the whole set of graduated and retired .htaccess could be generated.

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/incubator/master/assets/.htaccess

All The Best,
Dave