From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache TubeMQ (Incubating) 0.8.0-incubating RC2
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:43:26 GMT
The reference [2] refers to the three different licenses for the three different products.
There are three links to three different license pages.

https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-oslicense.html
https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-jeoslicense.html
https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/berkeleydb-xmloslicense.html

As I read it, the only license that would allow an Apache project to have a hard dependency
and to redistribute is the Berkeley DB Java Edition. The others are unacceptable to Apache
except as optional dependencies (in which case the user would have to install the dependencies
and accept the conditions).

Craig

> On Feb 18, 2021, at 4:35 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Berkeley DB uses a Category X non-commercial license, which Justin points out is
not an open source license.

>> Berkeley DB Java Edition uses a standard Apache License, v2.0 with an additional
license that appears to be the 3-clause BSD license for an embedded third-party component;
both of which are Category A licenses.

> I'm not 100% sure this is the case, it’s not 100% clear from that page [1] that Berkeley
DB Java Edition is licensed differently.

> This page [2] has conflicting but non Apache compatible information:
> "The our open source license permits you to use Berkeley DB, Berkeley DB Java Edition
or Berkeley DB XML at no charge under the condition that if you use the software in an application
you redistribute, the complete source code for your application must be available and freely
redistributable under reasonable conditions. If you do not want to release the source code
for your application, you may purchase a license from Oracle. For pricing information, or
if you have further questions on licensing, please contact us at berkeleydb-info_us@oracle.com."

> Thanks,
> Justin
>

> 1. https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/related/berkeleydb-downloads.html