From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc1
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2020 03:01:23 GMT
Hi,

>  1.  Change all MXNet to Apache MXNet (incubating) from documentation where it necessary
>  2.  Change maven package description ” MXNet Engine Adapter for DJL” to  "Deep Java
Library (DJL) Engine Adapter for Apache MXNet" for clarification

Thanks for doing that. ASF generally prefers “powdered by” so I would double check with
trademarks (trademarks@a.o) if this is acceptable use. [1]

> For [3], this package contains no source code from Apache MXNet and only contains the
binary that built from source through the Apache MXNet source code without modification. It
also brought necessary License and binary attribution from Apache MXNet.

I still have some concerns here’s for instance is a page [2] that says:
	• The binaries are built from source from Apache MXNet without modification.
	• The binaries are obtained from the Apache MXNet python pip wheel.

The issue here is those pip “releases" contain unreleased versions of Apache MxNet [2] and
probably should not have been released by the MXNet project and shouldn’t be used by the
general public. [4] ("must not be distributed through channels which encourage use by anyone
outside the project development community”)

There is currently a draft policy on downstream distribution [5] but I don’t think it covers
this situation. Now I would agree that the ALv2 allow you to use Apache MXNet code, even if
it is unreleased, but I’m not sure if you can say the the resulting product is “for MXNet".
That may be need a discussion on the legal@a.o or trademarks@a.o lists.

And to be clear this is not really a DJL issue at this point, it's more an issue for the PPMC
of MXNet to sort out.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#products