From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Giving our PMs and contributors triage rights on GitHub
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2020 10:08:27 GMT
Hi,

> Last thought: I don't have data on this, but I think the ASF could be doing
> better at diversity (see the ApacheCon picture <https://www.apachecon.com/>
> as anecdotal evidence). Being inclusive of a wider range of roles and
> offering diverse paths to "committerhood" could really help with this. For
> Superset and many other projects, finding ways to involve and empower PMs
> and designers to partake in the open source process is vital.

We could always be doing a better job at diversity, but I’m not sure that’s the issue
here.

The bar to committership should be low and all forms of contribution considered by the (P)PMC.
Many people end up being voted into communities without making code contributions, and this
has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Someone who is being paid to work on a project should have no issues is achieving this in
a very short time. So I’m not sure what the issue is here. Is it in engaging people who
have been assigned these roles to be publicly involved with the project and follow Apache
values or is it something else?

Thanks,
Justin