From Sheng Zha <zhash...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Distribution guidelines for other platforms
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2020 01:43:41 GMT
Hi Justin,

When examining these clauses in the context of distribution in our project (MXNet), I had
a few questions to clarify. In the release guideline, there are the following statements:
> Convenience binaries need to follow licensing policy and not include any category X licensed
software.

Does the convenience binaries include nightlys? Or CI test builds? If yes, what's the recommendation
if a project needs to test category X optional dependencies?

> Where possible it should be pointed out that Apache project make source releases and
convenience binaries are just a convenience for end user.

What's the reason for requiring this statement? Can a project choose to vote on a binary release
under ALv2 to make it official?

> Apache project branding and naming needs to be respected.

What does this mean to the PPMCs? Would it be more helpful if this includes reference to the
branding policies that the PPMCs should adhere to and protect? (e.g. [1][2][3])

> It should be clear that the artifacts are under the ALv2 license.

Would there be cases where the convenience binaries must be licensed under a different but
non-Category-x license due to dependencies? If so, what's the recommendation?

Best,
Sheng

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/downstream.html
[2] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains.html
[3] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/

On 2020/07/06 01:03:43, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given there no more discussion here I guess I’ll assume it’s good and I’ll put
it up for a VOTE. These can be modified as needed later.