From Sheng Zha <zhash...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Distribution guidelines for platforms
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2020 05:55:20 GMT
> > Personally, I believe that interpretation is still making new rules.
> Please point to one of these new rules.

Again, in my opinion, the act of interpretation of existing rules in a new context is making
new rules. Thus, all the rules in the guidelines are new rules.

> > As a podling PPMC member, my main concern from the disagreement in this thread is
that we may end up
> > seeing podlings being bound by additional rules that the top-level projects are
not bound to.
> Well another alternative I see is to ban the use of all alternative channels until we
do have ASF policy in place for their use. I don’t think projects would be happy with that.

I'm not sure whether that would be the only alternative. If this is indeed the case, I think
it would be extremely concerning if the incubator is to ban all podlings from using non-ASF
distribution channels. It would be an act that forces podlings that rely on non-ASF distribution
channels to retire, making the name "incubator" rather insincere to them, if not ironic.

Best,
Sheng

On 2020/07/13 05:38:16, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > This description suggests that the nature of this guideline is the interpretation
of the
> > existing Apache policies in the context of distribution on third-party platform.
>
> That is correct.
>
> > Personally, I believe that interpretation is still making new rules.
>
> Please point to one of these new rules. Everything in come from existing ASF policy put
into context for these platforms. This is advice to help projects comply with policy. Some
podlings are currently not doing that. How else would you suggest we fix that?