From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Distribution guidelines for platforms
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2020 06:43:17 GMT
Hi,

How is providing guidance on ASF policy to podlings unfair if it makes their life easier?
Again these guidelines add nothing that a TLP shouldn’t already be doing. They may do it
in a slightly different way, and that’s OK and also allowed by these guidelines.

Put it this way without that guidance some podlings will come to graduation, and it will not
be granted as they are not complying with ASF policy. Or we have the situation when the board
points out to the Incubator that a podling is not following ASF policy. Or podlings may leave
the Incubator because they didn’t understand the requirements of those policies. Or a podling
would be removed from the Incubator for not following ASF policy.

Yes, we could wait until the ASF come up with a policy (and even help them create it), that
may take years. Meanwhile, the above issues will keep occurring.

An alternative to wait and see is to come up with some guidelines that give good advice (and
that legal and trademarks have looked at) and then adjust as needed when the ASF does come
up with a policy for these platforms.

Thanks,
Justin