From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Distribution guidelines for platforms
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2020 07:51:16 GMT
Hi,

> I think all of these situations can occur with or without the new incubator policy.

It possibles yes, but they would be less likely to occur.

> his can only be more restrictive than the original ASF policies.

These are not more restrictive than current policy. I really don’t understand why you think
that they are. Please point out where that is the case and I’ll correct it.

> If there’s consensus on the guideline among the TLPs

There probably is not consensus among TLP on this and different projects will do it in different
ways. That is fine as long as it complies, but working that does can be difficult.  Some TLP
projects may not be complying with policy and not be aware of it, which may become a future
issue. Even worse podlings may copy them rather that actually reading and understanding ASF
policy or the intent behind it.

This document allows for a variety of interpretation - "All of the above SHOULD be followed.
The podling can ask the IPMC for permission to do otherwise.” Note the use of the word SHOULD
rather than MUST. SHOULD means unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

> and everyone agrees with your assessment, why would it take ASF years to reach consensus
on them?

It taken years to get to this point and these issues and the like have been discussed for
over a decade without resolution and that’s why policy don’t exist. The current board
is trying to address that but it’s likely to be a slow process.

The fact that once again this discussion has got derailed leaves me with very little hope
that this will get resolved. A large amount of work has been put into this by many people,
and it's unfortunate that these objections were brought up so late in the process.

Thanks,
Justin