From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Distribution guidelines for platforms
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2020 05:38:16 GMT
Hi,

> This description suggests that the nature of this guideline is the interpretation of
the
> existing Apache policies in the context of distribution on third-party platform.

That is correct.

> Personally, I believe that interpretation is still making new rules.

Please point to one of these new rules. Everything in come from existing ASF policy put into
context for these platforms. This is advice to help projects comply with policy. Some podlings
are currently not doing that. How else would you suggest we fix that?

> As a podling PPMC member, my main concern from the disagreement in this thread is that
we may end up
> seeing podlings being bound by additional rules that the top-level projects are not bound
to.

Well another alternative I see is to ban the use of all alternative channels until we do have
ASF policy in place for their use. I don’t think projects would be happy with that.

Thanks,
Justin