From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-java 1.3.0-incubating-RC1
Date Tue, 05 May 2020 00:18:00 GMT
FWIW (not much) Michael Martin’s statements match my understanding. What he says is stated
from a different point of view or with different emphasis than most posts here, but doesn’t
differ AFAICT.  The only point that remains unclear to me is the end date of Verizon’s explicitly
asserted copyright.  I’d expect it to have an end date as of the code donation, since after
that not all the code will be copyright Verizon because presumably there are non-Verizon-employee
contributors.  IIUC Michael is saying all ongoing contributions from Verizon employees are
still copyright Verizon, which is the normal state of affairs for employees in the US.   I
don’t think he is claiming Verizon copyright on code contributed by others.

David Jencks

> On May 4, 2020, at 4:00 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I find no record of Verizon Media or its predecessors (including Yahoo and
>> Oath) having assigned copyright to Apache, either with respect to the code
>> that existed at the time the project joined the incubator or with respect
>> to the authorized contributions made by Lee and others since then.  And to
>> be clear, pursuant to the terms of their employment agreements, neither Lee
>> nor any of the other Verizon Media employees contributing to the project
>> actually own copyright to their contributions.  Verizon Media owns that
>> copyright.
>
> If this is the case that as per section 4 in the ICLA my understanding (and I may be
mistaken) is we something more from Verizon Media ie, ether they waive rights or sign a CCLA.
I do see we have a CCLA on file from Verizon Media but I’m not 100% if it was for this project
and employees as I can't find any discussion of it on your mailing list.