From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-java 1.3.0-incubating-RC1
Date Mon, 04 May 2020 02:23:22 GMT
Hi,

> *files*.  They are not compiled source code of any language.  They are not
> executable.  We used the extension ".bin" to indicate that they are binary
> files and not human readable.

No but they are easily confused as binary file. I'd suggest renting them ".dat” rather than
“.bin”.

> With respect to your interpretation of the copyright license as a
> "donation" and that Verizon Media no longer has any claim of copyright
> ownership of the contributed code I have added our Intellectual Property
> attorney, Michael Martin, to this thread.

When software is donated to the ASF via a software grant we don’t ask for transfer of copyright
so yes Version Media is likely still have copyright on some parts of the code. However they
do not have any copyright on any changes that made after that because in an ASF project individuals
(and not companies) contribute to Apache projects via their ICLAs. So Version Media copyright
contributions ended on the day the software grant to Apache was finalised. Copyright will
likely last longer than you or I am alive, but it will not last indefinatly.  What is in a
NOTICE file is ASF policy and it would be best to follow what is commonly done here.

Thanks,
Justin