From Eya Badal Abdisho <eya.abdi...@bitnine.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Project proposal - Apache AgensGraph
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2020 18:28:47 GMT

On 2020/04/08 14:02:26, Stephen Mallette <spmallette@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a general question from someone who tries to follow what happens in
> the graph community in general - what is the relationship between
> "AgensGraph" and  "AgensGraph Extensions"?
>
>Agensgraph is a fork of Postgres, where the source code was directly modified to implement
the Cypher query language. Agensgraph Extension utilizes Postgre’s extensibility features
to add the Cypher query languages, without any modification to Postgres’ source code. The
Agensgraph community requested that it be an extension instead, so we began development on
Agensgraph Extension.

> https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph
> https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph-ext
>
> I see that the README for AgensGraph Extensions  says:
>
> > AgensGraph Extension, which is a successor of AgensGraph, is developed as
> an extension of PostgreSQL.
>
> and I see where the proposal states:
>
> > Prior to AgensGraph extension, there was an existing forked project which
> is publicly available as an open-source on the following link:
> https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph
>
> > While working on the fork version of this project, we found out that
> there are increasing voices asking for an extension of AgensGraph. It was
> then when we decided to develop and work on the extension version to
> provide more benefits to PostgreSQL users such as easy installation and
> compatibility.
>
> so does all of this just mean that AgensGraph is no longer under
> development and all new development is for AgensGraph Extensions? Or am I
> missing the difference between these two projects somehow and how they
> relate to each other?
>
> AgensGraph has been an open source project for about 3 years. There are community users
who use AgensGraph in their academic projects and others. Therefore, AgensGraph will be in
maintenance mode (e.g. bug fixes and syncing with PostgreSQL version) so that the community
users can use AgensGraph in their projects continuously.
AgensGraph Extension has "Extension" in its name because it is being developed as an extension
of PostgreSQL. AgensGraph is a fork of PostgreSQL.