From Dave Fisher <wave4d...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Project proposal - Apache AgensGraph
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2020 14:54:32 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 15, 2020, at 5:24 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>

>>> On Apr 14, 2020, at 4:27 PM, Dave Fisher <wave4dave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Certainly this is a concern of all incoming podlings though, isn't it? Isn't
the goal of Incubator to ensure, as much as possible, that the podling DOES develop into a
community? So why the overdue concern, if overdue is correct, about this one?

>> It is a general concern of mine and I think that the IPMC should discuss these concerns
more often. How is another thread.

> FTR, I agree, which is obvious since I am someone who frequently points out the concern
w/ many podlings graduating w/o a clear (IMHO) understanding of the Apache Way. And I know
that the general concern was one reason and rationale for the Petri proposal as well.

Petri is intended to help existing open source project communities decide within their community
if the Apache Way and the ASF is right for their community. The community can choose to do
this publicly or privately. There are three possible results: become a TLP, incubate, or something
else. It is not designed to replace the Incubator.

> Also, FTR, I lately have not been encouraging potential projects to join the ASF, but
this one seems well suited, and is one reason why I agreed to Champion it.

We are all volunteers and need to make our own choices.

> I just wanted to ensure that this particular podling proposal was not being unduly focused
upon, for whatever reason, consciously or unconsciously.

I think that all of us bring some biases from our experience. Perhaps the Incubator should
discuss the proposal process and score which aspects of the Apache Way are in good shape vs
which are more of a concern.

Some areas;
- Few active developers.
- Single company development.