From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Project proposal - Apache AgensGraph
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2020 19:44:36 GMT

> On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Eya Badal Abdisho <eya.abdisho@bitnine.net> wrote:
>

> On 2020/04/09 01:09:57, 张铎(Duo Zhang) <palomino219@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Feel the same thing.
>>
>> I see the contributors of these two projects are almost the same so I
>> assume that the old AgensGraph is also maintained by the same community and
>> will abandoned?
>>
>> As also mentioned above AgensGraph has been an open source project for about 3 years.
There are community users who use AgensGraph in their academic projects and others. Therefore,
AgensGraph will be in maintenance mode (e.g. bug fixes and syncing with PostgreSQL version)
so that the community users can use AgensGraph in their projects continuously.
> AgensGraph Extension has "Extension" in its name because it is being developed as an
extension of PostgreSQL. AgensGraph is a fork of PostgreSQL.

Since AgensGraph is not involved in this podling it is very likely that Apache AgensGraph
Extension would not be approved as a project name.

While it is not a requirement to change the name before Incubation it is highly recommended
that this group find a name that will be approved.

Regards,
Dave

>> And an interesting observation is that,  the AgensGraph project changed the
>> license to AGPL in the past and then after several month changed back to AL
>> 2.0.
>>
>> https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph/commit/d27242e3e0c8ef6a94e6785d27e25224836a2c53
>> https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph/commit/4229bf7a7449029c33f194c45ab2afe3ca0b08dc
>>
>> Mind explaining a bit about the movement? And will this introduce any legal
>> problems?
>>
>> In the past, there was an internal decision to switch to the AGPL license. However,
it was determined that the benefits of this stricter license were far outweighed by the negative
impacts, as brought to light by the community of users. Even though Agensgraph and Agensgraph
Extension share a similar name and defined feature set, they are independent projects, in
as much as there is no shared source code, so no legal issue with the Agensgraph license should
affect Agensgraph Extension.