From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do Pooling jars have to contain the DISCLAIMER too?
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2020 18:28:54 GMT

> On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:25 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Yeeeeaaaahhh ... buuuuuuut.
>
> We're talking about convenience binaries here ... as we keep on insisting that only source
bundles are releases.
> So technically they are doing it correctly, as the source distribution, we are doing
the voting on actually does have the DISCLAIMER in it.

> Perhaps we should update that document to also mention releases AND any form of convenience
binaries.

Sure - please do make a change.

If they are debating this about conveniences are these binaries going through proper VOTE
procedures?

Regards,
Dave

> Chris
>

> Am 09.04.20, 20:12 schrieb "Dave Fisher" <wave@apache.org>:
>
>    The DISCLAIMER is an Incubator requirement.
>
>    https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html#disclaimers
>
>    Regards,
>    Dave
>
>> On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:07 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> unfortunately I can't see the requirement to have a DISCLAIMER in there ... nor could
I find it ... I totally agree with you, that it should be that way, but I couldn't find a
written baking of that position so I could vote -1 and send a pointer to some documentation.

>> Chris
>>

>> Am 09.04.20, 20:01 schrieb "Dave Fisher" <wave@apache.org>:
>>
>>   Hi Chris,
>>
>>   There should not be a question. If these are official Apache packages from the
project published on Maven Central with org.apache co-ordinates then they must meet all of
release policy and include NOTICE, LICENSE, and, if incubating, DISCLAIMER. They must also
be released on the official dist server and available at downloads.apache.org even if no one
would normally get packages that way. The same should go for NPM and other distribution channels.

>>   https://infra.apache.org/release-distribution.html
>>
>>   Clear?
>>
>>   Regards,
>>   Dave
>>
>>> On Apr 8, 2020, at 6:05 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>
wrote:

>>> Hi Justin,
>>>
>>> I agree that they should ... especially if you don't build from source or use
the pre-compiled binaries you otherwise wouldn't have any reference to the software undergoing
incubation at the ASF.

>>> Was sort of just asking if it's a "should" (still a +1 with a notice to fix for
next time), a "must" (-1) or a "I don’t care" (+1 and not even a notice)

>>> I would clearly like to argue for a "must".
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>>> Am 08.04.20, 14:58 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com>:
>>>
>>>  Hi,

Nexus don’t have one