From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: "Fork Me" on GitHub (was Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShardingSphere (incubating) as a TLP)
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2020 08:20:53 GMT
On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 10:27 AM Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...The compromise which seemed acceptable to most in that thread seems to be to remove
“GitHub” from the link...

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:46 PM John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> ...The problem is that "fork" means two different things, and that some
> members seem to be interpreting fork in the sense of a project level fork...

Considering this and the Board discussion mentioned in this thread I
think changing the language would work, and also using a nofollow
attribute on the link to GitHub.

I suggest:
a) Changing the language of such banners to "Pull Requests Welcome"
(because "forking" can be misunderstood and due to our fierce
corporate independence principle)
b) Asking our projects to add a "rel=nofollow" attribute on the link to GitHub
c) Asking our projects to make sure the README of their repositories
points to their .apache.org URL

I think this information belongs to
https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs as that's where projects
find the ASF requirements for their websites - this one is not
strictly about branding but it's good to have all this info in one
place.

If we agree on this I suggest that we propose a patch for that page to
trademarks@

-Bertrand